Getting your driver licence

By George

To get a full (unrestricted) Car (C) driver license, you need to go through three license stages:

  • Learner license (Ls)
  • Provisional P1 license (red Ps)
  • Provisional P2 license (green Ps).

Along the way, you need to pass three tests:

  • Driver Knowledge Test (DKT)
  • Hazard Perception Test (HPT)
  • Driving Test.

There’s a fee for each license and test. See Fees at

This is called the Graduated Licensing Scheme (GLS) and it aims to help you become a safe and low-risk driver. It takes at least 4 years to get a full license if you’re aged under 25, or at least 3 years if you're over 25.

Before you start, you must:

  • be aged 16 or over
  • have a residential address in NSW
  • be able to prove who you are – see Proving your identity at

  • be medically fit to drive and able to pass an eyesight test –

see Fitness drive at


Logging driving hours

You need to log at least 120 hours of driving, including 20 hours at night before you can take the Driving Test. See Learner driver logbook at

To help you gain experience and log your hours, you can:

  • Do the Safer Drivers Course from a good driving school in Sydney. This will help you develop hazard perception and safe driving skills. You get 20 hours of logbook credit once you complete the course.
  • Have structured ‘3 for 1’ driving lessons Earlwoodwith a licensed driving instructor. For every 1hour lesson, the driving instructor will record 3 hours of driving experience in your logbook.
  • Get support from the Driver Licensing Access Program, if you’re Aboriginal or a disadvantaged person.


Learner license restrictions

There are license restrictions that you need to follow. Examples include always having someone with a full Australian driver's license supervising you when you’re learning to drive from a driving school in Rockdale, zero alcohol, and displaying your L plates. These restrictions are there to keep you safe as you develop your driving skills.

Back to Top