How to transfer an overseas licence to a NSW driver licence?

By George
Driving License Australia

You can drive in New South Wales (NSW) for three months with an overseas driver's licence if you are an Australian citizen or permanent resident, or if you have a New Zealand driver's licence. However, you must visit a Service NSW Centre during these three months in order to transfer your overseas driving licence to a NSW driver licence. Depending on where your overseas licence was issued, you might have to pass a knowledge or driving test. A medical assessment and maybe a practical driving test are required for drivers 75 years of age or older.


Things you need for applying for NSW driver licence


Licence application form

Download and fill out the required application form.


Proof of identity

As a proof of identity you need to provide two documents – one from Primary identification documents and one from Secondary identification documents. Primary identification documents include NSW Photo Card, Australian full birth certificate or integrated birth certificate, overseas birth certificate, Current Australian passport, Current Travel documents etc. Secondary identification documents include Current Medicare Card, Current Pensioner Concession Card, Current Department of Veterans' Affairs entitlement card or any other current entitlement card issued by the Australian Government, Current credit card or account card, Account statement, passbook or letter up to 12 months old, Current student identity card etc.


Overseas licence

If your licence is:

  • not in English, translation of your driver's licence that has been officially recognized and accepted by Transport for NSW
  • not available, an authorisation letter (in English) from the issuing country.


Proof of Australian permanent residency

Documents such as an Australian full birth certificate, Australian passport, Certificate of Australian Citizenship etc serve as proof of your Australian permanent residency.



Payment for applications and tests is detailed as follows:

 Replacement licence - $31

Driver Knowledge Test - $52 each attempt

Driving Test - $64 each attempt


 If applicable you need to attend:

 A knowledge test (assess an individual's understanding of road rules, traffic laws, and safe driving practices).

A driving test (assess an individual's ability to safely operate a motor vehicle on public roads).

A 'fitness to drive' medical (evaluating an individual's physical and mental health in relation to their ability to safely operate a motor vehicle).


Acceptable translations

Transport for NSW only accepts English translations of overseas documents from:

 Multicultural NSW - If you need documents translated into English or from English into another language, you can book an appointment and submit the documents for translation to a Service NSW Centre.

Department of Home Affairs

Consulate-General of the Republic of Korea (licences issued in the Republic of Korea)

Taipei Economic and Cultural Office (licences issued in the Republic of China (Taiwan)).


You must provide the original translated document or a copy certified by a Justice of the Peace. (JPs are volunteers that come from all sections of the community and are available across NSW).

If you are unable to provide a translation of your driver's licence, you must get an authorisation letter from the relevant:

  • Embassy, consulate or diplomatic office in Australia
  • Government department in the country where your licence was issued.


Steps to follow to complete the process

  1. Download the application form
  2. Complete the form and gather your supporting documents.
  3. Visit a service centre and provide information in person.


Payment methods

You can make the payment online using:

  • Credit or debit card – Mastercard, Visa, American Express, UnionPay or Diners Club
  • PayPal


Additional information

 When you apply to renew a licence card, it will be posted to you at no extra cost.

If you have not received your card through the mail within 10 working days, call on 137788.


You can convert your overseas driving licence to a NSW driving licence by following these procedures. Prepare the required documents, fill out the application form and make your payment to initiate your NSW licence. They usually arrive within 10 working days.

Back to Top